Friday 17 September 2010

LONDON FASHION WEEK 2010

So its that time of season where designers are frantically organising their shows and final collections. London has the buzz of whats in store next season, to the looks, models, make up and hair styles, accessories and general press go into a different world for the next few days. For me it is a time where you step out of reality for a little while.  Everything you know and understand is a challenge, because after all the press are looking at you for the ideas of whats in store next!

Prior to the show I had to meet the designers and discuss what has inspired their collection and try to translate their thoughts and ideas into reality. Then we arranged a test to go over what I had in mind in relation to make up with their clothes.  I always get a bit nervous and excited at the same time because I know all the hard work that is to come. It can be so manic and stressful but very job satisfying each season, that sometimes I often wonder how lucky I am to be where I am today. Right in the middle of fashion week.




DAY 1


PROPHETIK spring/summer 2011


Fashion Stylist Rebekah Roy at work
Botticelli's Venus takes centre stage for Prophetik's spring /summer 2011 collection called 'Midnight Garden.  Designed by Jeff Garner, the men's and womenswear label provokes mystery and innocence with beautiful flowing Southern ball gowns trimmed with beaded leather ropes and delicate lace, exquisitely tailored jackets and waistcoats decorated with antique buttons, pin-tucked tea dresses, hooded tunics and long hemmed bloomers.

working backstage
palette: ivory, indigo, oatmeal, lavender, copper, sea foam, raspberry, coral.
Tim from Toni&Guy

Set in Vauxhall Fashion Scout in Free Masons Hall in Covent Garden the early morning call at 8am was maybe a bit too early for a few of us. However we were greeted with the sound of live music which was  got us in the spirit. All ready to go I went straight into my demonstration for the team.

The finished look 
The make up was based on ethereal and mermaids but not quite fantasy. Jeff wanted the eyes to sparkle had suggested that maybe we could have diamond eyelashes. Luckily in the test I had a pair that had crystal beads on them and they worked out quite well. Swarovski had supplied us with crystals too. What I didn't expect was that they didn't sell the particular eyelashes I used so I ended up searching for 2 days and spending 3 nights working out the best way to make them myself. It got easier to make after the 8th pair although my fingers got glued together! my main colour palette was pink and peach with white and pink glitter dust.

Perfeckt gel primers and eyelashes that I made with sponsored crystals from Swarovski
So after a quick run through we had less than 40mins to finish all the models in both make up and hair and getting them dressed for their first outfits. Luckily I had a great team of assistants supplied from AOFM and a few make up artist friends of mine we cracked on quickly together working in pairs to do as much as we could and finish the look. I absolutely love the hair that Tim from Toni and Guy had designed. It was based on medieval and tribal which he allowed his team to have creative flair so each of the model had their own style to suite their hair length and face. Rebekah who kept everything and everyone in running order and in time backstage and for front stage did a great job with her team. The show ran smoothly with an orchestra playing in the background as the models walked down the grass runway.
Fabulous stylist Rebekah Roy, myself with amazing hair by Tim Furressdon


DAY 2
Lako Bukia SS11 Collection

Lako Bukia hit the runway for the first time at Vauxhall Fashion Scout this week at London Fashion Week. The inspiration for the collection was taken from Soviet Union Architecture and the block buildings, which remain in the Soviet Union Countries. The collection color pallet was soft hues of blue, pink and natural tones.

When I first met Lako for her test at Tim at Toni and Guy Salon I was surprised how gentle and quiet she was. She was also laid back and let me demonstrate what I thought would suit her collection. It was a tough call because as a make up artist you want to do make up, but when the pallet is as soft and clean as hers I decided to hold back and keep the look soft in color tones but we gave the look a modern edge by making the eyebrows nice and strong but soft enough that it was still elegant.
Interview by Peak at MO-AM

models backstage preparing

I used a dark shadow under the eyebrow so it unified the look on each model to their shape and kept it natural to their face. Cheeks were highlighted with Benefits High Beam and MAC silver dusk. This gave it a beautiful contour at the same time. Sockets were kept creamy with a soft pink gloss and just a splash of mascara to keep the eyes defined. White MAC pencil was used to make the eyes look bigger and fresher. Lips were soft and nude with a sparkly white shimmer gloss. 
I really enjoyed the show and loved the simple dresses which were made of crepe and organza
Team at work backstage

Lako gives it the go ahead before show










1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the write up, have experienced the feel of LFW already:). Great work and look.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts